1. The Thief, the Cook, his Wife, and her Lover. An exercise of weirdness. Especially when you realize a naked Helen Mirren also played royal-old person Elizabeth II.
2. Dawn of the Dead (1978). How can this one not remind you of Halloween! Of at least our sick obsession with the dead.
3. La Cité des enfants perdus (or City of Lost Children). Children will always be a staple of Halloween and the dsytopic fantasy world that surrounds the children reminds me of Nightmare before Christmas.
4. Pink Flamingos. Another one of those exercises of weirdness. Singing rectums, sexual acts with chickens, and a black market rape/baby ring later, you realize this is just like your last Halloween in college.
5. Eyes Wide Shut. Okay, not technically Indie but two words: Venetian Masks.
Happy Halloween and Happy Filmmaking!