Friday, July 30, 2010

Know the Law!


Introducing a new mini-series topic: "Know the Law!" There are many, many, MANY laws governing the entertainment industry, and unfortunately filmmakers dive into the industry with very little legal knowledge. "Know the Law" will cover some basic laws enforced in the film industry, in layman's terms. Please note I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, so please use my advice for informational purposes only. It is still worthwhile to seek legal counsel, if you can afford it.
I also realize I have a few out-of-state and international readers (thank you for your support!). Most of these laws are California state laws, but many states will have similar laws governing employers, creative industries, and the like. California is the gold standard, so many film industry laws carry over to other states. You should check with your state's (or nation's) film commission.

Happy Filmmaking!

No comments: