Saturday, August 23, 2014

Budget Shooting: Still Prime or Cine Prime?

I am in the market for new glass. I shoot both still photography and video, so naturally I wondered if I really need dedicated lenses for both. I shoot Canon.

Convention says yes. Although DSLRs are popular for video production, they have their limitations. Thankfully, someone else had the same question and decided to do a side-by-side comparison.

Canon CN-E Prime Lenses - Non-scientific Comparison - Magnanimous Media from Magnanimous Media on Vimeo.

My verdict? For my purposes right now, there is little difference. I kinda like the look of the EF lenses. The EFs shoot a little warm, but I like shooting warm. Warm shooting is part of my shooting style. I also feel your target audience will not notice the difference if your story is engaging. The CN-E primes do have a larger color range, which could be useful in some low-light situations.

For the price tag, I am sticking with EF lenses until I am shooting a project that needs what the CN-E lenses can provide. Then, maybe I can just rent them from borrowlenses.com!

Happy Filmmaking!

No comments: