Monday, January 19, 2009

Do Film Festivals REALLY care about unknown filmmakers?

An interesting concept. Over at Film Independent, one aspiring filmmaker dares to post this question. Although it would feel like many film festivals only care about films that would give them the most press, it does seem a little harsh to assume all festivals can care less about the rising filmmakers.

The article suggests that filmmakers should never limit themselves with just the large, tougher-to-get-into-than-Heaven film festivals like Sundance and Cannes, but also check out the local scenes. And also follow the golden rule of the Industry: network.

The rest of the article is here.

Happy Filmmaking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post and links Sharonda.

I'm not sure the answer, but I'd love to think if it's good, it doesn't matter how unknown you are.

I'm a broke filmmaker, so I'm entering some stuff in contests for cash, prizes, etc. This one for the city of LA has nothing good entered yet, so I think people have a good shot at making it.
http://discoverlosangeles.com/thats-so-la/

- Dave

Femme Fatale et Noire said...

Thank you for the link, Dave. I'll check it out!